I am writing this post from San Francisco at the Laparoscopic Institute for Gynecology & Oncology LIGO Surgical Masters’ Course.
#LIGOspring14 attracted 200+ surgeons from 39 US states, 6 Canadian provinces, Mexico, the Bahamas, Australia, New Zealand, Equador, Egypt, Nigeria, Lebanon, United Arab Emirates and Singapore.
Dr. Jubilee Brown gave an update on hormone replacement therapy (HRT), the only non-video non-surgical presentation at LIGO. I will summarize here what I thought are good take-home messages from her talk:
- Estrogen replacement therapy ERT is safer than hormone replacement therapy HRT (estrogen + progesterone).
- With ERT, myocardial infarction and heart disease may be improved.
- Breast cancer risk is LESS with ERT.
- Mortality is less with ERT especially in young womyn age 50-59.
- ERT is safe for womyn younger than 70.
- The risk of stroke and venothrombosis is higher with ERT and HRT.
- There is no increase to bilateral oopherectomy (removal of both ovaries), even in womyn younger than 50, as long as estrogen is prescribed after surgery.
- Vaginal Estrogen is FDA approved and safe for use in womyn with breast cancer.
Categories: Gynecology, Health
Hi Dr. Abdessamad, tha is for this. I have a patient who has just started on an estring. She is traveling and her mother has a history of having had an embolus. The patient is freaked out about about the low does localized estrogen therapy because of the product monograph. She wants to remove it and reinsert after her trip which involves plane travel which as you know is mentioned in the product monograph. Any comments? Thanks so much! When are you available to come back on the air and talk about your work? Best regards, MaureenMcGrath goat CKNW Sunday Night Sex Show
Sent from my iPhone