- Tweet often.
- Thank people who retweet or favourite your tweets.
- Tweet original content. Retweeting is great as long it is not the only way by which you use Twitter.
- Tweet interesting content. Each one of us has a topic that she/he knows more than others. Whatever you know most about should be what you tweet about the most.
- Do not Spam.
- Do not tweet content that is false or inaccurate.
- Do not tweet what you wouldn’t want your family or boss to see. Everything you post on Twitter is public (unless you have a private account). There are ways to search for every tweet you ever twat (past tense of tweet) since you created your account.
- Do not tweet what can cost you your job and reputation. Basically, do not tweet what you would not say on stage in a speech addressing a nation (Twitterstan is likely more populated.) You want to avoid what just happened to Justine Sacco, a PR director at InterActiveCorp (IAC). She twat “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” shortly before an 11 hour flight from London to Cape Town, South Africa. By the time she landed, #HasJustineLandedYet hashtag was trending worldwide and she was fired.
Click on above tweet to read more about Sacco’s Twitter crisis from BuzzFeed: “This Is How A Woman’s Offensive Tweet Became The World’s Top Story – The anatomy of the Twitterstorm that cost media PR pro Justine Sacco her job.”
Categories: Social Media