- Tweet often.
- Thank people who retweet or favourite your tweets.
- Tweet original content. Retweeting is great as long it is not the only way by which you use Twitter.
- Tweet interesting content. Each one of us has a topic that she/he knows more than others. Whatever you know most about should be what you tweet about the most.
- Do not Spam.
- Do not tweet content that is false or inaccurate.
- Do not tweet what you wouldn’t want your family or boss to see. Everything you post on Twitter is public (unless you have a private account). There are ways to search for every tweet you ever twat (past tense of tweet) since you created your account.
- Do not tweet what can cost you your job and reputation. Basically, do not tweet what you would not say on stage in a speech addressing a nation (Twitterstan is likely more populated.) You want to avoid what just happened to Justine Sacco, a PR director at InterActiveCorp (IAC). She twat “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” shortly before an 11 hour flight from London to Cape Town, South Africa. By the time she landed, #HasJustineLandedYet hashtag was trending worldwide and she was fired.
Click on above tweet to read more about Sacco’s Twitter crisis from BuzzFeed: “This Is How A Woman’s Offensive Tweet Became The World’s Top Story – The anatomy of the Twitterstorm that cost media PR pro Justine Sacco her job.”
Here is another snap shot of the same tweet but only minutes later, can you see the difference!?
Categories: Social Media
Leave a Reply