“Imagine just one woman, that she is first raped in public and then forced to sit on burning coal until her entire genitalia are destroyed. Her husband, children and family are forced to witness the torture. Her father is forced to participate in the rape. The family´s fields are then torched. Let us then imagine that during the following days 242 other women are raped, something that occurred as recently as August this year, and then consider that this aggression has been on-going for more than a decade.”
The international medical community has recently been mobilized to stand up for the rights of womyn in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Health care providers are appealling for peace and an end to sexual aggression there.
Rape is being used as a more powerful weapon than guns. In that region, rape can causes disolution of families and communities, immigration, life long illnesses, lower health status and increase in rate of suicide and furthur alienation of victims, trauma that can be as gravid and destructive as that caused by war.
I just signed the following Call for Action and I invite you to do the same. We must put an end to sexual aggression against womyn and girls in the Congo.
“We, as part of the global medical community, endorse Dr Mukwege and his colleagues´ following demands to the international community:
- Demand of the DRC, Rwanda and Uganda that they take control over their regular and irregular militias that wreak destruction in the area. The economic interests that entertain the chaos of the region to a great extent explain these states seeming indifference faced with the indescribable suffering taking place.
- Extend and strengthen the mandate for the peace-keeping troops in the region to protect civil society.
- Encourage the creation and training of a Congolese policing unit to large part consisting of women with the purpose to protect civilian society.”
The following medical organizations also endorse this call for action:
- The Swedish Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (SFOG)
- The Swedish Society of Medicine
- The Swedish Medical Association
- Nordic Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology (NFOG)
- Danish Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (DSOG)
- Finnish Gynaecologic Association (FIK)
- Norwegian Gynecological Association (NGF)
- Icelandic Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (FÍK)
- The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC)
- The Swedish Association of Midwives
- AMOG- Associação Moçambicana de Obstetras e Ginecologistas
- Canadian Association of Midwives
- FIGO – the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Association of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Ukraine (AOGU)
- Scandinavian Doctors Sweden
- Rotary Doctors Sweden
If you are the health care provider, click here to endorse this appeal for peace and an end to the sexual aggression in the Congo.